About Max Planck vLib
The Max Planck virtual Library (vLib) is a portal to scientific information resources available to staff and guests of the Max Planck Society. It presently includes nearly all Max Planck library catalogs and licensed reference databases as well as numerous external catalogs, databases, reference works, e-print servers, etc. Further resources are being added continuously.
To browse electronic resources available, please go to MPG.ReNa
To locate resources still enabled for federated search, please see vLib MetaSearch.
The services developed within the vLib project offer several options for institute-specific localization and integration of services.
- Using COinS to add MPG/SFX buttons to free resources like Wikipedia or to download references to Zotero (eng)
- Usage of EZB OpenURL interface to display EZB holding information in the MPG/SFX menu (ger)
- Local usage of the MPG/SFX server (ger)
- MPG/SFX Citation Linker to integrate a lookup option into your local web page (eng)
- Search plug-ins to add Citation Linker fields to the quick search box of your browser (eng)
vLib Help and Material
Help files, training material and further information will be added continuously:
- vLib Help: Online help file (eng)
- vLib FAQ: Frequently asked questions about the vLib portal (eng)
- SFX FAQ : Frequently asked questions about the MPG/SFX link resolver (eng)
- vLib blog : News and more from the vLib project team (eng, ger)
- vLib Flyer : Information sheet about the vLib portal (eng)
- MPG/SFX Flyer : Information sheet about the MPG/SFX server (eng)
More material and literature is available on the Max Planck PuRe Server.
vLib Maintenance Hours
The Max Planck vLib and the MPG/SFX link resolver are hosted by the GWDG. Please consider the following scheduled periods of downtime.
- Routine maintenance for both servers is scheduled for Wednesdays between 8 and 9 a.m. Normally, the interruption of services should only be for a few minutes.
- Full backup (including shutdown of services) of the vLib server is scheduled to be run on Monday mornings, at 1 a.m.
Please be aware that scheduled and emergency maintenance affect access to vLib and MPG/SFX services and will close active user sessions in the vLib portal.
To keep track of additional announced system downtimes, please watch our blog.
vLib Project Team and Contact
The Max Planck virtual Library is developed and maintained by the vLib Project Team bringing together representatives from units such as the Adminstrative Headquarters, the Max Planck Digital Library, the Information Retrieval Services and the Max Planck Libraries. In order to contact the Project Team, please send a message using our contact form.